Cardinal DiNardo leads delegation to border, holds press conference
WASHINGTON—On Monday, July 2, a delegation of bishops led by Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo, President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, plan to meet with U.S. government officials and members of the Catholic community as part of a full day of visits with a focus on family unity. Immediately following the engagements, the bishops will hold a press conference to offer their reflections. The press conference will be held at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle – National Shrine. It will also be livestreamed on YouTube.
The delegation of visiting bishops includes:
- Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo, Archbishop of Galveston-Houston, President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Archbishop José H. Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles, Vice President of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Bishop Joseph C. Bambera, Bishop of the Diocese of Scranton
- Bishop Daniel E. Flores, Bishop of the Diocese of Brownsville
- Bishop Robert J. Brennan, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Rockville Centre
- Bishop Mario Alberto Avilés, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Brownsville
On Sunday July 1, the bishops visited the Humanitarian Respite Center at Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley, a short term hospitality center that serves families who have been processed by the Department of Homeland Security with immediate medical assistance, food, clothing and information about complying with immigration proceedings. The bishops also celebrated a Mass at the Basilica in San Juan.
WHAT: Press Conference with U.S. Bishops Visiting Delegation on Family Separation
WHEN: Monday, July 2, 6pm CDT
WHERE: Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle – National Shrine at the Eugene De Mazenod Renewal Center – Conference Room
400 N Virgen de San Juan Blvd
San Juan, TX 78589
Please park on the south side of the Basilica parking lot.
Pre-registration for the press conference is required. Please contact:
Director, Office of Public Affairs
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops