Abstracts to collections available for research at the Catholic Archives of Texas are found below. Detailed finding aids or collection inventory guides are hosted externally through the Texas Archival Resources Online (TARO) and may be viewed by selecting the links below. Some manuscripts or collections are not described; contact Selena Aleman by email or at 512-476-6296 to inquire of an unlisted collection.
- J. W. Bracken collection, c. 1897: 245 photostat clippings of newspaper articles on Texas history; sources and dates not known, but probably from newspapers dating to about 1897.
- Sam Houston papers, 1818-1967: Correspondence, appointments, lists, photographs, and typed manuscripts document the personal and professional life of Samuel Houston and his family.
- Reverend George A. Keith, S.J. Stereographic collection, c. 1898: 100 stereographic images of a pre-Vatican II Mass.
- Texas Conference of Churches records, 1969-2001: Records from the Texas Conference of Churches, an ecumenical association led by Christian hierarchy in Texas, comprised of financial statements, meeting minutes, and publications.
Bishops of Texas Collections
- Most Reverend Arthur Jerome Drossaerts collection, 1920-1951: Correspondence and newspaper clippings comprise the episcopal collection of the Most Reverend Arthur Jerome Drossaerts.
Texas Catholic History Collections
- 19th century research collection, 1822-1951: Photostatic copies of correspondence dealing with the structuring of the Catholic Church in Texas and establishment of the Diocese of Galveston.
- Francis Bouchu papers, 1830-1930: A collection of materials including handwritten ledgers, correspondence, and photographs related to the work of Rev. Francis Bouchu and the missions of San Antonio.
- Mexican Religious Question collection, 1906-1984: Correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, and manuscript drafts regarding the creation of a seminary for Mexican Catholic exiles during the Cristero War.
- Mission San Jose scrapbook, 1876-1933: Ethel Tunstall Drought’s scrapbook contains photographs on the ruins and restoration of Mission San Jose in San Antonio, Texas.
- Monastery of St. Clare in Brenham records, 1644-2013: Contains records from the Poor Clare Sisters of Brenham, Texas. The materials include financial records, correspondence, photographs, prayer books, publications, audio-visual materials, and artifacts that document the monastery’s Cuban origins and the activities of the Poor Clare Sisters in Texas.
- Starr County Farm Workers Strike collection, 1966-2016: An artificial collection of Catholic diocesan newspaper clippings and publications about the 1966 Starr County Farm Workers Strike and march to the Texas State Capitol.
Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops Collections
- Archie Gress papers, 1973-2009: Contains materials related to the various service organizations with which Archie Gress and his wife, Joan Penzenstadler, were involved and issues for which they advocated. The materials include correspondence, programs, presentations, reports, and publications as well as newspaper clippings, a manuscript, a day planner, and digital media including CDs and floppy disks.
Texas State Council of the Knights of Columbus Collections
State Deputy Collections
- Ron Gay papers, 1937-2014: Consists of materials relating to Ron Gay’s involvement with the Knights of Columbus. Much of the collection consists of materials from State and Supreme Council meetings and conventions and includes artifacts, audio-visual materials, administrative files, programs, and meeting minutes.
- Lino Perez, Jr. papers, 1959-1973: The collected papers of Lino Perez, Jr., who served the Texas State Council of the Knights of Columbus, in various offices for more than 25 years.
Texas Knights of Columbus Historical Commission (TKCHC)
- Reverend Paul J. Foik papers, 1914-1941: The papers of Holy Cross Father Foik, a leader in Catholic librarianship, author, historian, and editor. The collection includes correspondence relating to Foik's professional activities in Catholic librarianship, particularly the development of a Catholic Periodicals Index, and to his work with the Texas Centennial Commission Advisory Board of Texas Historians.
- Joseph A. Koegler collection, 1930-1931: Thirty-four newspaper articles, collected and presented to the State Deputy of the Texas Knights of Columbus by St. Edward’s Council # 2559 as part of its entry in the 1931 contest for the Daliet Historical Trophy.
- Monsignor William H. Oberste papers, 1710-1982: The papers of Msgr. Oberste (1899-1983), author of works on Irish colonists in Texas, the missions at Refugio, and other locations in South Texas; parish priest at Our Lady of Refuge, Refugio, from 1933-1969.
- Spanish and Mexican Manuscript collection, 1519-1980: Artificial collection created by the TKCHC, Dr. Paul J. Foik, chairman, for the preservation of Texas Catholic history and for the writing of Our Catholic Heritage in Texas, Dr. Carlos E. Castañeda, historiographer.
- Texas Knights of Columbus Historical Commission records, 1914-1975: The TKCHC was established in 1923, to gather material for, and conduct the writing of, the history of Catholicism in Texas, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas. Records include correspondence, research notes, manuscripts, reports, minutes, and photographs. Archival materials gathered by the TKCHC can be found in the Spanish and Mexican Manuscript collection.
Newspapers and Periodicals
- Diocese of Amarillo: West Texas Catholic, 1975-Current
- Diocese of Austin: Lone Star Catholic, 1957-1961
- Diocese of Austin: Lone Star Register, 1961-1968
- Diocese of Austin: Texas Catholic Herald, 1968-1980
- Diocese of Austin: Catholic Spirit, 1984-Current
- Diocese of Beaumont: Texas Catholic Herald, 1968-1986
- Diocese of Beaumont: East Texas Catholic, 1986-Current
- Diocese of Brownsville: Valley Catholic Witness, 1967-1972
- Diocese of Brownsville: Valley Catholic, 2009-Current
- Diocese of Corpus Christi: South Texas Catholic, 1992-Current
- Diocese of Dallas: El Católico de Texas, 1995-2011
- Diocese of Dallas: Revista Católica, 2011-Current
- Diocese of Dallas: Texas Catholic, 1954-Current
- Diocese of El Paso: Rio Grande Catholic, 1991-2016
- Diocese of Fort Worth: North Texas Catholic, 1985-Current
- Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston: Texas Herald, 1964-Current
- Diocese of Laredo: Catholic Spirit, 2017-Current
- Diocese of Lubbock: South Plains Catholic, 1985-Current
- Ordinate of St. Peter: Ordinariate Observer, 2017-Current
- Diocese of San Angelo: West Texas Angelus, 1980-Current
- Archdiocese of San Antonio: Mary’s Review, 1891
- Archdiocese of San Antonio: Southern Messenger, 1891-1942
- Archdiocese of San Antonio: Alamo Register, 1942-1957
- Archdiocese of San Antonio: Alamo Messenger, 1957-1972
- Archdiocese of San Antonio: Today’s Catholic, 1972-2019
- Diocese of Tyler: Catholic East Texas, 1987-Current
- Diocese of Victoria: Catholic Lighthouse, 1987-Current
- K.J.T.: Catholic Union of Texas; 1959-Current